Sunday, September 12, 2010

You're Not A Writer

I'm going to get straight to the point here. No crap. I have a friend who is also a writer. She writes these little 'novels' that are actually only about 5-7k words. She's my age (15) and really takes pride in her work. She tells everyone and gets people to read what she wrote. I always read her stuff and tell her what I thought about it (although what I tell her is thouroughly filtered so I don't hurt her feelings).

This is all fine and dandy. The only issue is that when I ask her if she wants to read a small bit of my own writing, she kind of laughs and brushes me off. The first time this happened, I was okay with it. But I've asked her several times since about several different pieces and she does the same thing every time. She doesn't take me seriously! A fellow explorer of this craziness called writing doesn't take one of her own seriously! It's driving me insane!

One thing I haven't mentioned yet; her writing isn't good. No, I'm not just jealous or letting the fact that she doesn't consider me a writer get to me. It just isn't good. Every single thing is a cliche and is a different version of Twilight. She doesn't even think she needs to edit. I understand that some people are really fantastic and don't need to edit, but she isn't one of those people. I like to consider myself a fairly decent writer, and I know that if I didn't edit everything would be a disaster.

Anyway, it's starting to really rub me the wrong way every time she has the nerve to ask me to read one of her pieces when she won't return the favor! I don't want to crush her dreams of being a professional writer by telling her that her writing isn't that good but it's becoming quite tempting! What should I do?